My experieces with the Lumbar Lion

Ya heard it right. Low back pain is one of the most common cases PTs will ever face. (Hey, think about all those Worker's Comp guys whose stupid employers have neglected the possibility of preventing back pain in the work place through educating their employees).

Admit it. Low back pain patients are like GLASS. They are so fragile they can easily break with even the smallest faulty posture (it can cause flare ups, especially on a sunny weekend when they can do yard work and gardening!)

I have used the Lumbar Lion Technique and have gotten amazing results with it. (One other favorite technqiue I like is the MWM for the shoulder which I will tackle next time). For Lumbar levels L3 - L5, I have the patient test the Lion Position first and assuming there is pain, I usually use the scoop technique where I "scoop" the painful spot (often, I use the Mobilization pad to increase friction and decrease direct pressure on the patient's skin) with the patient in quadruped and ask the patient if the pain "disappears". If it does, I tell the patient to assume the Lion position (by having patient "sit" on the ankles with the arms just stretched out overhead) --- reminds me of the Child's pose in Yoga. It is, however, important to have the patient's ankles dangle off the treatment table while assuming quadruped. If the patient assumes the Lion position with NO pain, I let the patient do it 10 times (with my "scoop pressure" very consistent on the area). After 10 reps, I have the patient retest. The pain should have minimized by at least 80% or reduced from 8/10 to 1/10 or even eradicated totally.
  • Other modifications include inducing lumbar rotation with the pillow under either knees while on quadruped.
  • Modify and change positions of your "scoop" when the pain does not disappear.
  • There should absolutely be no pain.

Well, this is how I do it on patients and it is in no way accurate enough to dictate you of whether you would want to do it or not.... Either way, there should be no pain, or else you are not doing it correctly.

Comments

Popular Posts